Monday, October 29, 2012

Eugene O'Neill and Dat Ole Devil Sea, Robert A. Richter, c. 2004

My review for the book at Amazon.com:
This is one of those rare books that one probably only finds in even rarer museum stores. I stumbled across this copy at the "Plymouth" museum in Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts; hardcopy; and paid full price, something I seldom do.

The size of the book and the book jacket caught my attention, as well as the subject matter. I know of Eugene O'Neill but do not know his work; I'm not sure if I've ever read any of his plays. The book was written to show how Eugene's experience in Provincetown influenced his plays.

Ninety (90) pages of sailing background and Eugene's experiences as a sailor precede the chapter titled "Provincetown." These 90 pages alone are worth the price of the book. Wow! The author does an outstanding job describing America's transition from sailing ships to steamers, and Eugene's few years on the sea. Absolutely incredible.

The book is a wonderful size to hold; feels solid in one's hands. The paper is very good quality (this is the Mystic Seaport, 2004, hardcover edition). The font is particularly pleasant. Binding is excellent. At the museum full price was $25.

No comments:

Post a Comment