- The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edget of a New World, Sean Carroll, c. 2012
- Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World, Lisa Randall, c. 2011
There are four forces: electromagnetic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and gravity.
There is a fifth force field: the Higgs field.
Our universe would not need the Higgs field or Higgs boson to exist but it would be a very, very different world. The four "legacy" forces are the forces that mediate relationships among the particles of the universe.
- the electromagnetic: charged particles
- strong nuclear: hold hadrons together inside the nuclear; 100x stronger than the e-m force
- weak nuclear: radioactivity; neutron decay
- gravity: very, very, very weak;
As least that's how I understand it.