Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Verdict Is In: Reading on a Tablet is Awesome

I never thought I would enjoy reading a book on a "tablet," whether an iPad, a Kindle, or a Nook.

But I've been re-reading The Memoirs of Ulysses S Grant on the iPad and I find it absolutely wonderful. I can carry the "flat" tablet everywhere; it takes up less room than the soft cover book itself. I can make unlimited notes; I can highlight in several different colors, and I can even do internet searches on something that strikes my fancy while reading the memoirs.

I bought a hardback copy of the "new" Mark Twain autobiography, first volume. It is enjoyable to read, but what a pain. It is so big, and so heavy, one cannot really read it in bed, and one certainly does not schlep it along on daily outings. I'm not ready to spend $30 for an electronic book but I have to admit, the hardback copy of Mark Twin's autobiography is a real pain to read.

Which reminds me, I have to chuckle. Some folks have said the iPad is too heavy, that's one's hands become tired holding the iPad. Whoever said that should hold the Twain autobiography for awhile.

To download the Memoirs was absolutely free, as are about 35,000 books, if memory serves me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment