Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Ancestor's Tale, Richard Dawkins

c. 2004.

If I had to recommend just one book on evolution, I would have to recommend this book.

I don't care for his religious baiting, and I don't care for his flippant attitude toward one of my idols, Stephen J. Gould, but "it is what it is." And this book is simply outstanding.

I think the reader's progression should be this: high school biology; at least college biology 101; The Panda's Thumb by Gould; The Selfish Gene by Dawkins; A Wonderful Life by Gould, and then The Ancestor's Tale.

I don't know when Hox genes were discovered, but I don't recall reading about them in college (1969 - 1973). It appears they were identified in the early 80's.

I have been aware, of course, of Hox genes for quite some time, but never understood them. I never took the time to read about them; until recently I was not reading for pleasure and Hox genes were not really all that necessary for a satisfactory career in the United States Air Force.

I have read The Ancestor's Tale at least once, and perhaps twice if one counts going back and forth reading different sections over and over. Until this past week, I don't recall spending that much time on Hox genes, but after reading Dawkins' description, I have a very good feeling for such genes. I went to wiki to add to my knowledge and I have to admit: if I only had the wiki description, I would still be confused.

The nice thing about the Dawkins book is one can read the introduction to understand the layout of the book, then the first few paragraphs of each chapter, and then go back and read the chapters that interest one the most.

The only criticism I have: I wish there were more graphics. None, of course, are needed, but somehow, graphics really improve the look of a book of this type.

I can't wait for the day -- although I will probably be long gone -- when this book, and all similar books -- are put on the web as an "app." The features would be endless.

The book reminds us how far we've come with regard to the internet: there is but one (as far as I noted) reference/link to a internet URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment