Saturday, September 1, 2012

Portrait of a Novel, Michael Gorra

Updates

August 7, 2016: I am re-reading The Portrait of a Lady. For me, it now all comes together. Henry James was a literary critic who wanted to become a great novelist.
  • at an early age, maybe 26 years old, he met his "almost-exact" contemporary, George Eliot, who haunted him for the rest of his life
  • three years after meeting her, she publishes, and he reviews, Middlemarch; must have had a profound effect on him; wanted to do one better
  • recalled garden party with, and "good ol' days" with his cousin Minnie (Minny?) in upstate New York
  • she died a few years later, at age 24, of tuberculosis
  • he most likely had fallen in love with her; if he was homosexual, this worked out well; he had a love and couldn't pursue her because she was his cousin
  • he had spent time in Florence, Italy, by this time
  • The Portrait of a Lady is his homage to his cousin
September 12, 2012: a note I wrote to my wife:
I continue to enjoy the biography of Henry James, written alongside Henry James' Portrait of a Lady. I read (present tense) a few chapters of The Portrait of a Lady, and then I read (present tense) a few pages of the biography by Michael Gorra.

Of all I've read over the years (since 2004), it is amazing how certain books have really made a difference. No one suggested George Eliot's Middlemarch to me; I happened upon it by chance, but Gorra refers to it often in the Henry James biography.

I was fascinated by Middlemarch and might re-read parts of it again some day, though it, in retrospect after all I've read, seems less than what it is, if that makes sense. Middlemarch is a great story, but the writing, as good as it is, is not as poetic as that of Virginia Woolf, or as profound, as that of Henry James. Henry James and Virginia Woolf both took writing to a new level; much more challenging to read; plotless; but rewarding. I think about Middlemarch once in a while, but James' The Beast in the Jungle; Woolf's Mrs Dalloway; and, Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome, are unforgettable, haunting, disruptive.

I could not have enjoyed/I would not have enjoyed any of those three books, however, had I not read a lot of other books leading up to them. It's funny; it all started with Wuthering Heights in that high school summer program, and somehow Wuthering Heights is about the only one of the very early books that can hold its own among the modernists.

Much (almost all?) of Henry James writing takes place in Europe/England and I assume I enjoy him more because of our time overseas.

Oh, the "thought" that got me to writing all this? While reading Gorra's biography, he mentions Graham Greene once. I have no idea how I was led to Graham Greene, but I read the huge 3-volume biography of Greene -- it's one of my treasures back in the Texas apartment. Had I not read the Greene biography, I probably would have passed over that one reference, but it was great to see that my thoughts about Graham Greene validated by Gorra.
September 11, 2012: I continue to read Gorra's Portrait. It is absolutely outstanding. Sometimes I find myself not really paying attention to what I'm reading. Fortunately, I recognize that and go back and start the chapter over.

I am reading about the role Rome played in the travels of Americans and the English back in the middle of the 19th century. It explains a lot. I was aware of this phenomenon, the lure of Rome but it is interesting to see Gorra's perspective. It amazing the detail he provides and research he did. It's a lot of fun.

I can't recommend the book to someone who has not read Henry James, but for those who are familiar with him, it really is a must-read book.

Original Post
I posted this at Amazon.com:
For fans of Henry James, this is a must. Re-read the first two chapters of Henry James' Portrait of a Lady. You probably have a copy on your bookshelves; if not easily available almost anywhere for less than $6.00 (soft cover). You can download Portrait of a Lady for free on the iPad. I still prefer my paper copy. 
Then, buy the new hardcover Portrait of a Novel, by Michael Gorra. I never buy hard covers, but when I saw it at Barnes and Nobel, I just had to get it, so I ordered it from Amazon. 
After reading the first two chapters of the Portrait of a Lady, read the first few pages of Michael Gorra's book. 
You will see what I mean. The two books need to be read simultaneously, a few chapters of the long novel, followed by a few pages of the new biography. It is incredible. Lots of fun. 
For newbies to Henry James, one may want to read another biography first, or get a quick overview on Wikipedia, but once you think you have an idea of who Henry James was, get these two books and read them side by side. It is most enjoyable. 
By the way, I do not recall ever having read Henry James in high school or college. It was a chance/random comment by a dear friend many years ago (seven to be exact), who mentioned that a high school teacher introduced her to Henry James and and has found him very, very rewarding. That friend is a voracious reader, never went to college, and enjoys Henry James. 
Wow. 
Anyway, you will not be disappointed in Portrait of a Novel. It is clearly biographical. It was published in 1881, eleven years after the "love of his life" (Minnie Temple) died of tuberculosis. She was just 24 years old. An incredible story. It is said she influenced everything Henry James wrote after her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment