Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and The Battle of the Little Bighorn; Nathaniel Philbrick, c. 2010

I picked up The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and The Battle of the Little Bighorn, by Nathaniel Philbrick, c. 2010, at the museum / bookstore at the Chief Crazy Horse Memorial just north of Custer, South Dakota, in the Black Hills.

I've read the preface and the first chapter: absolutely excellent.

I first heard of Nathaniel Philbrick when I visited a maritime museum in Massachusetts, where the curator recommended his Mayflower which was an excellent recommendation. It looks like The Last Stand will be just as good.

It certainly helps to have read Ulysses S Grant's memoirs (which I've read twice) and studied North Dakota history in middle school, which we called "junior high" at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment