Thursday, January 16, 2014

Athens: A Portrait Of The City In Its Golden Age, Christian Meier, c. 1993; IN PROGRESS

Incredible book. Translated from the German. Starts out with a great story on the Persian War of 480 B.C. I would have liked more maps in the body of the book.

Christian Meier quotes Max Weber early in the book, p. 48. 

I first saw this book while browsing the shelves at the South Lake, Texas, public library. I have read most of it, but have ordered a personal copy, a remaindered copy through a reseller through Amazon. I may or may not put notes here. 

2 comments:

  1. Bruce, have you ever run across the story of Robert Strassler, the editor of the Landmark series (Thucydides, Herodotus-etc)? Fascinating story of an ex-oilman who took the classics back from the professionals. http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0129/111.html

    Also, back on Lawrence of Arabia-I did look at reading the book "Revolt in the Desert" but it did not catch my fancy.

    I did start a blog recently that is still pretty rough-but if you are interested you can at least see where I am headed. http://eyeontheland.blogspot.com/


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. One word on Strassler: wow.

      2. I had not heard of Strassler. The article was incredible -- there was another story line in that article -- a top 5% graduate from Harvard. I have always maintained that Harvard has a knack for highly successful graduates. It is incredible how many highly unique personal stories and accomplishments include a stint at Harvard.

      3. I had once thought of a grand book on the Peloponnesian War but would have been sorely disappointed to see someone with a much better project.

      4. It is interesting that what is written about him seems to be more interesting to most that what he actually wrote.

      5. Do not become addicted to blogging. LOL. I particularly loved "Birds In England." I know more about and love England than anyone could possibly ever know.

      6. My hunch is you dislike some of my global warming/climate change comments/posts, but I think you would be surprised at how much more balanced I am on the subject in person. But for the blog....

      Delete